Thursday, November 02, 2006

Post Stitches

So last Sunday was my big day at Stitches East, all 4 hours of it. I drove down to the Baltimore Convention Center for an 8:30 am class, Design Your Own Aran Sweater with Beth Walker-O'Brien. Quite a good class. Beth was well prepared with a number of gorgeous Aran sweaters and swatches and very clear and complete outlines and worksheets. We used our gauge swatches...



... done as homework before the class to come up with a basic Aran pattern based on our measurements. I'll definitely have to order Janet Szabo's Aran Sweater Design and the Harmony 220 Aran Stitches and Patterns, as Beth highly recommended both, and I already have the notes for Janet's FLAK, although I didn't participate at the time of the knitalong. And I took lots of notes!

After class I hit the market. Lots of great stuff, very tempting. I took a very quick look at a knitting machine, and walked past booth after booth of books, yarn, and needles. I bought some Blue Face Leicester roving (so soft!)...



... in the Petroglyph colorway and yarn...



... (in what I'm fairly sure is Henry's Attic Silk and Ivory / Carrera) from Lisa Souza. Her work is even more beautiful (stunning!) than the photos at her web site.



And that's it. Exactly one class and one purchase. I was home by 1:30.


This was the first Stitches even I've been to in about 15 years. I've done the whole deal before, loaded up with classes, gone to the lunches and dinners and fashion shows, made several rounds of the vendors to compare prices and decide what I wanted to go back and buy. Lots of fun, but rather expensive. Just not for me this time. I find myself thinking that a lot of the class material is readily available in books or on the web, at a much lower cost or free... I guess I don't really have a problem with teaching myself new techniques and poring over instructions until I "get it."

The big thing with Stitches and other events like it is the comraderie. More than anything else, it's fun being with other knitters. Who else but a knitter is going to get excited about a new technique or a finished sock? Just looking at other knitter's finished work is inspiring and you can always learn something new.

Hmm...

No comments: