Monday, July 31, 2006

More Kool Aid Fun

So of course I had to check the results of the dyeing experiment as soon as I got home! The liquid in each jar was clear, so the dye had exhausted. I carefully pulled the roving from the jars and draped each section over a drying rack in the back yard, then rinsed them with the hose set to mist.


A bag of the rest of the undyed roving is at the bottom of the picture. It's definitely not white - more of a dingy yellow. I bought it from a fellow spinning guild member years ago. Except for yarn, it's probably the oldest fiber in my stash and more than likely the first that I spun on my own. We're going back about 15 years here, but I think that's right. I don't remember the breed. Good to learn on and experiment with, but not the softest stuff. I'm hoping that's just due to the mill's processing and it'll soften right up after it's spun and washed.

A girl can hope.


I'm loving the orange/yellow but the big surprise was the blue - it's more of a mix of blues than the turquoise shades in these pictures.


Tonight's dyeing is a smaller batch: a lot of roving in one jar, water, cherry Kool Aid (I think) in the bottom, lemonade on the top with the remains of a little bottle of yellow food coloring, and a glug of vinegar:

The box for the food coloring is yellowed and tattered, so it was no big loss.

I'll have to buy another shiny happy box sometime.

No comments: